Update, 9/11/18: This position has been filled.
Location: Remote (residing in Midwestern, Southern or Western states is preferred)
Organization for Competitive Markets (OCM) is a national, membership-based public policy research and advocacy organization headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska. Founded in 1998, OCM is the only national think tank focusing strictly on antitrust and trade policy in agriculture. OCM represents America’s family farmers and ranchers fighting consolidation and corporate control of the food system.
A major part of OCM’s effort is directed at providing objective, hard-hitting information to the public, the media and policy makers concerning market competition issues. OCM hosts informative conferences and meetings and takes action through collaborative efforts, providing resources and action toolkits for collaborators to use organically in effecting change in policy. OCM works with federal and state lawmakers and enforcement agencies to make change through legislation, litigation, and education.
OCM seeks an Outreach Coordinator to lead strategic outreach to advance organizational program goals and priority campaigns.
- Develop and implement a strategic outreach plan that furthers OCM’s objectives and campaigns
- Lead efforts to organize, mobilize, and energize our members and experts. Ensure our engagement strategy prioritizes outreach to influencers from diverse backgrounds
- Analyze opportunities, develop measurable goals and strategies, establish target audiences and communities for outreach, and develop and execute tactics for advocating with farmers, ranchers, the general public and decision-makers
- Plan and lead outreach to, and relationship building with, organization stakeholders including farmers, consumers, and grassroots/community groups, and coordinate activities of stakeholders
- Manage relationships with allies and represent OCM with allies and coalitions at public events and conferences
- Ensure all campaign elements are coordinated to ensure successful outcomes
- Establish metrics and implement systems to generate successful, high visibility, and high impact campaigns
- Track metrics regarding success of outreach efforts to demonstrate campaigns’ impact
- Assist the Director of Communications and Research with overall campaign research and communications strategy
- Maintain the day-to-day outreach on social media platforms, email and website
- Manage internal coordination of staff activities
- Maintain knowledge of OCM’s various subject matters and assist with research projects
- Maintain working knowledge of farm, food and agriculture policies and social justice issues
- Stay informed about national policy developments and implementation of federal rules as well as new organizing tools and methods to influence national policy
- Other tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Communications and Research
Qualifications and Experience
- Position requires two-to-four years of comparable and relevant experience and prefers a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Requires demonstrated capabilities in tasks such as: conceiving campaign strategies and tactics; planning and implementing effective outreach campaigns; building coalitions, partnerships, and stakeholder engagement; organizing advocates; and coordinating events
- Requires skill with working well with others, balancing multiple projects, and flexibly responding to fast-changing priorities
- Requires highly developed interpersonal skills to collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary team and communicate effectively with stakeholders from a wide range of backgrounds, including representatives of marginalized communities, grassroots coalition partners, economic experts, and policymakers
- Knowledge of policy topics related to market competition, food, farming and ranching and agriculture is required; experience with the farm bill and/or other federal policy making is a bonus
- Experience with organizing across culturally diverse communities is preferred; an understanding of racial equity, social justice, and workforce issues related to the agriculture and food system is required
- May spend extended periods at computer and travel up to 30% time
Compensation, Hours and Location
This is a full-time remotely-based position. Residing in Midwestern, Southern or Western states is preferred. Compensation is $36,000-40,000, based on experience.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Outreach Coordinator.” Email materials in Word or PDF format only. All communications will be treated confidentially. Resume review begins immediately.
OCM is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from groups that have been historically under-represented, including but not limited to women and people of color. OCM makes hiring decisions without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.