Join us and learn how you can take action to stop the extinction of America’s family farmers and our traditional agriculture practices.
Embassy Suites Hotel by Hilton – KCI
7640 NW Tiffany Springs Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64153
Reservations may be made under the group name Organization for Competitive Markets at a rate of $119.00/per night. Book your room online or by calling (816) 891-7788.
In our first session, on Friday afternoon, John Ikerd will talk about globalized industrial agriculture’s failing. We will continue with the problem of market concentration, today’s looming farm crisis, and the marketplace for producers.
FRIDAY EVENING BANQUET SPEAKER: Wes Jackson, President Emeritus of The Land Institute
Our second session, on Saturday morning, will refer to industry-specific issues. This will include market and impact on farms and farmers, food fraud, economic impact on rural communities and main streets, and impact on cattle, poultry and dairy industries.
SATURDAY LUNCHEON SPEAKER: U.S. Senator Mike Lee (invited), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Chairman of the Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights Subcommittee protecting business competition
The third session, on Saturday afternoon, will offer us a call to action. We will hear reports on litigation and lawsuits, state and federal checkoff program reform, country of origin labeling, holding the market accountable, good food purchasing policy, and new state inspection systems that replace onerous and failed big packer USDA programs.
OUR CONFERENCE SPEAKERS:
- Wes Jackson, President Emeritus of The Land Institute
- Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director of Food & Water Watch, Author of Foodopoly
- John Ikerd, Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Economics at the University of Missouri
- Lillian Salerno, Chair of Family Farm Action and former Deputy Undersecretary for Policy for Rural Development, USDA
- Barry C. Lynn, Director, Open Markets program, New America Foundation
- Webster Davis, Chair of the Agriculture Committee for the Missouri Chapter of the NAACP
- Dudley Butler, Farm and Ranch Law Group, PLLC, former Administrator of the Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration
- Ben Ezzell, Attorney, Enid, OK City Council
- Greg Gunthorp, a 4th generation hog farmer, started Gunthorp Farms in 1998
- U.S. Senator Mike Lee (invited), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and Chairman of the Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights Subcommittee protecting business competition
- Matt Penzer (invited), Adjunct Professor and litigation consultant on animal law issues
- Andrew Green (invited), Managing Director of Economic Policy, CAP (The Center for American Progress)
- Dennis Olson (invited), Senior Research Associate, Food & Agricultural Policy at United Food & Commercial Workers International Union – Food Processing, Packing & Manufacturing Division
- Anim Steel (invited), Founder of Real Food Generation
Please join us for an exciting and motivating weekend. Check back as we continue to update our agenda.